Jun 1, 2013

May Book of the Month

Okay, so I've been slacking on my blog writing. But I will never miss a Book of the Month post, so here it is.

Last month's book came as a recommendation to me and I was a little weary of it (as I usually am of recommendations from people), but I actually enjoyed it (obviously, or I wouldn't be paying the recommendation forward).

It's called The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is what I would call adult epic fantasy, which is why I was a little nervous of it at first. But the main character is intriguing, and the story moves quickly for a 600+ page book. There were some things I didn't like and parts that I felt went to slow, characters that I wish didn't keep popping up, but overall, interesting. It was also easy to see that Rothfuss is a bit of a gamer, with some of the references he put in.

I am told that it is the first book in a trilogy, but that the second book isn't worth the read (isn't that how it almost always is?). Fortunately, I felt that the first book wrapped up things pretty nicely that I don't feel manipulated into reading any of the rest of the series if I don't want to--meaning, it doesn't stop in the middle of a sentence, though there are some things that weren't addressed.

Since this was a good month for reading for me, here are a couple runners up:

Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne. You don't really notice how well something is written until you are an adult. There are so many good lines in Winnie-the-Pooh!
The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett. Supernatural mystery that was fun to read. Probably the beginning of a series.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I checked this out and couldn't get more than about 50 pages into it. Although now my memories are completely muddled as to why. Plus, I checked it out at the same time as another book (Neil Gaiman, maybe?) and one of them had a ridiculous amount of swearing. I'm guessing since you pushed through on this one, that I should try again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one had hardly any swearing, and mostly just the "tame" swears. I had made a deal with the person who lent it to me that I would read at least 200 pages and then I could stop if I wanted to, so I don't know if I pushed through the slow part or if I really did think it was interesting from the start.

    ReplyDelete