Jun 19, 2013

Blue Skies (PEI Day 4)

Friday night I was starting to wonder what I would do for the last two days I was on the island. Come to find out there was nothing to worry about!

Saturday was a beautiful day! The sun was out, the sky was blue, and the weather was warm. There is a farmer's market on Saturdays in Charlottetown, and I got the bright idea that I was going to walk there, because it was only a mile away. So after breakfast I headed out.

And got lost.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to find the market, so I turned around and starting making my way back.

And got lost.

At one point I looked over in the direction I was pretty sure I needed to be headed, and I saw the spires of St. Dunstan's Basilica, which is right across the street from my hotel. And I thanked God for St. Dunstan, whoever he was, because that's how I found my way back.

St. Dunstan's Basilica
I decided to get some lunch from the grocery store and head out to the beach. I had heard of a beach called Basin Head that was famous for it's "singing sands." On my way out of town, I saw the farmer's market and realized how close I was when I had turned around! Dagnabit! Oh well, it was an adventure!

Basin Head is supposedly located in a town called Souris. One thing I learned about PEI highways is to just follow the signs, and you should be able to get to where you're going. You turn when it says to turn and you go straight when it doesn't. After about an hour I got to Souris, but didn't see any sign for Basin Head. I went straight through without seeing it. I did end up at a beach eventually, just not the one I was heading for. I finally just turned into Red Point Provincial Park. 

The sand was so soft beneath my bare feet. I don't even know when the last time was that I walked in the sand--very possibly five years ago when I went to Cornwall during my study abroad. I found a little place to sit, and I read and listened to the waves, and ran my hand and feet in the sun warmed sand. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was perfect. I even got a little sunburned.

The place I stopped to read

Warming my feet in the sand.


After about an hour and a half, I decided to roll up my pants and brave the water. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the water was not cold! I walked back the length of the beach, just in reach of the tips of the waves before they rushed back to sea. 

I drove back to Charlottetown and decided that I wanted to see go out and see a movie, just because I could. I looked up showtimes and the theatre, and a couple hours later went out to find it. The theatre was a little hard to find, and I had to stop at a Burger King to ask for directions (Google made it seem like it was on the other side of the street, in full view, when really it was behind the mall). I saw Now You See Me, which was a lot better than I was expecting it to be (there wasn't a big choice in movies). 

After the movie, I headed to COWS Ice Cream Parlor, which boasts the best ice cream in Canada. Considering it is the only ice cream I've eaten in Canada, I can neither confirm nor deny that claim. But it was pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment