Oct 28, 2008

Mask

I'm an English major. I love reading, and I love writing. Something that I've been trying to do over the last couple of years is to try out new kinds of writing. In high school I wrote poems and pieces of prose, but I think that best way to learn about writing and to become better at it is to try out different types and learn about them. Well, I've been trying my hand at different types of writing, though I haven't been researching them as much as I should... oh well! So some of the things that I have started writing is a screenplay (which I feel so nerdy saying, but it's true), and lyrics. Eventually I would love to learn how to write songs and put the lyrics into them, but at the moment I'm just trying to perfect the words to sound good and mean what I want to. For your own personal judgement I'm including my most recent "song" entitled Mask. There are some lines that need work on, and the last verse I'm not too fond of, but here it is!

Mask

Verse 1
I wish you would see
that this girl you think you know
isn't the real me
I was putting on a show

I was playing a part,
wearing a mask,
hiding my heart.
But now I'm going to let it
go and ask

Chorus:
Could you love me like this?
Could you take me as I am
or is this all just hit and miss?
I'm tired of being a sham.
This is who I am,
could you love this?

Verse 2
I was hiding behind
the curtains, putting on a face
but I'm not that kind
I was feeling out of place

I'm stepping off the stage
coming to you
no more charade
Do you even have a clue
who I am now?

Chorus

Bridge
I'm not the flirt you thought I was
I'm not supergirl
I've got my flaws.
One thing I know is true
I'm fallin' for you!

Verse 3
I thought you would try
to see behind this disguise;
couldn't show you that I cry
at having to say goodbye

I'm taking off this dress
going to reveal
what's beneath this
I'm going to show you the real deal
and plead stay

Chorus

Could you love me?

So there it is! Let me know what you think, and leave some constructive criticism in the comments. Eventually I would love to be able to share my life through music, if I can learn how, and this is just the rough beginnings of that, so please be soft!

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment