Jul 27, 2011

Tales from a TRAX Rider: Protestors

Yesterday was another adventure riding the UTA!

I stayed at work late to finish a project I had been working on. I get out to my stop about 35 minutes later than usually. The other line's train pulled up. And there it sat. And sat. And sat. For about 45 minutes it sat there! Meanwhile, my train is at the previous stop, right where I can see it. Finally the conductor comes out and says that they are trying to get everything started up again and the trains should be moving soon.

"You know what the problem is?" asks the unbelievable short man next to me.

"Yeah, apparently there is a protest at the courthouse," the conductor said. "Some of the protestors where sitting on the tracks. But they got the police there now."

Um, protestors? Sitting on the tracks? Are you kidding me?! I'm all for the right to assemble, but do they really have to ruin everyone else's day? I was already an hour late, I was hungry, I was tired, and I was grumpy.

Finally the other train moved and mine pulled up. Getting on, I just happen to get on the same car as that guy. You know the kind: the guy that complains about something without having all the information, and talks with a loud annoying voice to anyone who is polite enough to not ignore him. With my low blood sugar, headache, and exhaustion, I wanted nothing more for him to shut up.

He didn't, and just my luck, he stayed on until the last stop, which is also mine.

I finally got home two hours after I left the office.

1 comment: