Feb 8, 2009

Sisyphus (or, Living a Myth)

Sisyphus was one of those guys in Greek mythology that happened to really tick off one (or more) of the gods; in this case, Zeus (which you should probably never do). Probably not a good idea. Because of this, Sisy was condemned to pushing a stone up a mountain for all of eternity. But the REALLY horrible thing about this punishment is that every time there seemed to be an end in sight, when the top of the mountain was just a few feet away, the stone would fall back down the mountain and poor Sisy would have to start over again.

I feel like this myth is my life. Not that I ticked off any ancient Greek gods (and especially not Zeus, never Zeus!), but I'm pushing the stone of achievement/happiness up a long mountain and just as I'm about to peak, and I'm feeling pretty darn good about the work I've done so far, I lose my grip and the stone falls back down to the bottom. When I get to the bottom, there are all these people walking past, thinking that I'm not even trying, not believing when I tell them I am.

And this continues for eternity.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know how you feel, but don't worry, it'll work out, and probably be better for it in the long run. And remember, if you ever feel like your at the bottom again, I'll be there to give you a hug and believe you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I love you.

    ReplyDelete