May 2, 2010

April Showers bring May . . . Showers?

I have to admit that I have been very proud of myself this week. It was the first week of Spring term, and I started a class and a new schedule at work.

Before this week started I made myself a "permanent to do list" for Spring. On this list are things that I need to do everyday, things to do every MWF and TTh, things to do on Sunday, and things that are "extra" activities--for when I finish the to do's for that day. Monday and Tuesday I did really good with it, and then I started work and my class.

This term is a little different because I've never worked before class before, but it's fine. I've been able to eat lunch with a friend that works at the creamery after my shift and before my class and it's fun to talk with her about whatever. So on Wednesday everything was going along just dandy and then I went to my class.

I hate the first day of a class. The professor hands out the syllabus and tells you everything that you need to get done in the next seven weeks and you start freaking out because it just doesn't seem that there are enough hours in the day! So I went home, looked at my permanent to do list, and sighed. I wouldn't be able to do those things.

Thursday, everything seemed clearer (except the sky, which was decidedly more cloudy). I got up at 7:30 and by nine I was working on my first paper. I finished the first draft around 10:30, was able to watch an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (my two new favorite old shows), ate lunch and then went to Barnes and Noble to spend 3 hours there for an assignment.

Just so you know, I think it is impossible to spend 3 hours at a bookstore and not buy something.

After I came home I was able to finish my Thursday to do list by practicing the piano and packing up my lunch for Friday. I was feeling better about how this semester would go.

Friday I went to work again, went to class, read the best sentence of my life (from a published novel): "Her body, clothed in a black silk suit, was like a perfectly sculpted ornament on the sea of leather." If you didn't laugh at that, you have no soul. Then I came home, wrote, entered a story of mine into a contest, and went back to work. Yay for working on Friday night. Not. But it wasn't too bad.

Yesterday I slept in until 10. I can't remember the last time I slept in that late. It felt SO good. My roomie and I made breakfast together and then we went shopping! I didn't buy anything (okay I bought some soap at Bath and Body Works, but it was on sale!), but we had lotsa fun. But it was after I ate lunch that my week took a little turn for the dark side of the hill. I forgot my phone was in my back pocket. It's little, it's hard to remember. Well, it fell in the toilet. Again. Except this time, the indicator dot turned that dreaded color of pink. I hurried and took it all apart and stuck it in rice (everyone has told me that it works . . . we'll see). I feel very disconnected from the world. What if someone tries to call me and it's important? Not that people usually call me, but still. And then, what if my (very 'spensive) phone doesn't work? I just need it to somewhat work until October, is that too much to ask? I don't think so. If not, I found a phone on ebay that will work. Le sigh.

And then later that I night I spilled cereal all over the floor! Fail.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Sunday will be better and that I will continue to complete everything on my to do list throughout the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment