Jun 23, 2009

Sharing the Joy of Cooking

I decided that I wanted to learn how to make Beans and Rice. So I looked up some recipes, but I didn't really find one that seemed appealing. Therefore, I took the things I liked and made a new recipe! Here it is!

Whitney's Beans and Rice

1 can black beans (any kind of beans would probably work)
1 can corn (or frozen), drained.
½ onion
½ red or green pepper (I used red for the color)
2 small cloves of garlic
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp curry powder
Rice, cooked (I used four cups of water, two cups rice. My rice was a mix between white and brown)
olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

Cook rice. While the rice is cooking, chop up the onion, pepper, and garlic. Heat the olive oil and put in the previous ingredients to cook. When the garlic is browned and the onion is transparent, pour in the beans (do not drain!!) and the corn (drained). Mix everything together well. Then add the spices. If it seems too thick, add in a little more water. Pour over rice and you're done!!

If you like a spicier flavor, up the spices to 1 tsp each. (This is what I did the first time and it was pretty spicy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment