Jan 25, 2007

Free Write: Title Pending

I've dabbled in the art of creative writing, and while I realize that I'm not that good, it's enjoyable to me and helps me share my emotions. I don't know how good this is, but I hope that it's enjoyable enough. This particular poem started as a telling of Don Quixote from Cervante's famous novel. Then I was thinking about David and Goliath and I noticed a similarity between the two--they were both fighting something so huge that no one thought they would come out victorious. In David's case, he was, but Quixote wasn't. And yet Quixote keeps fighting; "Fighting my windmills everyday." And the whole point is that we should keep trying to defeat what our own personal windmills might be, no matter what anyone else says. So, I tried to draw a parallel between the two; I hope you like it!


Fighting my windmills everyday
they call me crazy
I take up my rusty sword
and set that golden helmet
upon my silver head
and go to

Face my giant,
five perfect stones in my hand
His breath ruffling sandy hair
There is no faith in me
a child

Arms wave in the air
round and round
impossible to pass

Armor covers him
and I have only five stones
five chances

One!

I turn my broken horse
toward my demons

Two!

Knowing the danger I face
I ride

Three

I raise my lance

Four, with one more chance
I aim

The windmills stand still
beckoning me; come closer

Toward the one unarmed spot
on his body

Keeping my lance steady

Raising my arm
I release

Five! He crashes,
and lays still

His arms unhorse me
taking me around with them

No longer a boy

A crazy old fool

No comments:

Post a Comment