Dec 1, 2013

November Book of the Month

Before I begin, here's an update from last week's book of the month. I read the second book, which used a lot more bad language than the first. That's just something that I'm not comfortable with, so I probably won't be reading any more in the series.

As I mentioned in my last post, I spent most of my spare time studying for the GRE, which resulted in me not only not having a lot of time to read, but also in not having any time to write any more posts on my blog. It will all be over on Tuesday though, and then I just need to finish my grad school application and I can "relax" and wait. Sigh.

This month's book of the month is The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry. This story is a bit of a Cinderella retelling, but I felt that Berry's approach and telling of it was so different that you didn't feel that you were reading the same fairytale that you know backward and forward. Amaranth follows Lucinda as a mysterious woman and a mysterious jewel appear one day in her uncle's goldsmith shop. When her uncle dies and her aunt turns her out into the street, Lucinda must rely on a witch, a thief, and a prince to help her to restore the fortune that was stolen from her when her parents died.

I love fairytales and fantasies, but it's hard to find well written ones. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and will probably read Berry's other book. Another mention is that it is published by my favorite publishing company (which probably shows what a nerd I am), Bloomsbury Press. I have never read a book printed by Bloomsbury that wasn't well written, well edited, and a good story. Take that as you may.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Berry's other book as well. Sad she hasn't written more.

    ReplyDelete