Oct 7, 2011

Why I Love Google and Other Stories from My Job

I work in a library. That alone is awesome. A library is full of books, and this library in particular has really old books.

Plus, working in a library means that I am not the only nerd around, as being a nerd is a prerequisite to working in a library. No matter if you are in the library proper, or upstairs in the projects like I am.

I love the people I work with. The first day when I met them all I thought, "Wow. Historians are really awkward." Which, okay, they are, but they are also a lot of fun too. I have a great friendship with the other intern, and love our little chats that cover topics from Disney Channel stars to raising children (even though neither of us have any). It makes work more enjoyable.

Now, on to why I love Google. At work we have been spending a lot of time working on Geographical Directory entries to put up on the website. This means a lot of source checking--over and over again. These entries have gone through about 4 or 5 other people before I get them, and yet I still run into problems. Our lovely source inputers sometimes just put a source in without making a photocopy of the original source, or where it's from, or even who said it! Such was something that I ran into the other day. It was credited to Joseph Smith, but it obviously wasn't. I decided to take a chance and type a phrase into Google. The first three results popped up with the quote. I looked at two of them--both Wiki sites--Wiki sites are also wonderful because of their inclusion of sources!! I looked at the source for the quote, looked in the Library's catalog and discovered that we had it! I ordered it to be brought up to my desk, problem solved! Seriously, what did we ever do without the internet?

If we didn't have the internet, the Joseph Smith Papers Project would probably not be getting done. Instead of a 20 year project, it would probably take a life time. Tracking down the papers, and the sources, would take a long time. And my job would take even longer than it already does.

Anyway, that's why I love Google!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I just wanted to let you know how jealous I am I would love to work in a library or a bookshop. I love reading and I read everything I can get my hands on :)

    ReplyDelete