Aug 15, 2011

Homemade Rice Pudding

When I went to London on my study abroad I fell in love with rice pudding. You just can't get good rice pudding in Utah. So I decided to find a recipe. I found a lot, but this was one of the easiest looking--and it has raspberries. Enjoy!

Rice Pudding with Raspberry topping (from Shirley Privratsky)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup long grain rice (I used arborio, which is actually a short grain rice that is used in risotto because it is known to make a creamier mixture)
  • 3 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook 20-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and mixture is thick and creamy. (I had to cook it about 35 minutes, probably because I changed the kind of rice. Also, do this part with the lid off.) Remove from the heat; cool. Fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate.
  2. Drain raspberries, reserving juice. In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in raspberries. Remove from the heat; cool. (I totally did this part wrong, haha. I had forgotten to get the raspberries out of the freezer the night before to thaw, so when I went to make this, I had to resort to crushing up all the raspberries in order to get enough juice. Then I just decided to put the crushed raspberries in so it ended up being more like jam than a raspberry syrup.)
  3. Spoon the rice pudding into individual dishes; top with the raspberry mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! I've never had home-made rice pudding, only the store-bought kind, so i think I might have to try this this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete